76ers’ superstar and NBA MVP frontrunner Joel Embiid will be playing in his fourth All-Star Game this weekend. He is having a historic type season, if he continues at his pace he will have the most efficient 30 and 10 seasons in the history of the league. He is playing like the best player in the league, and his team is first in the Eastern Conference.
Despite the superstar status that Joel has reached, he is still thinking of others and giving back to the Philadelphia Community. Embiid will take his 100,000 dollar winnings for the All-Star Game and donate it to fight homelessness.
“So many have fallen on such hard times during the pandemic,” Embiid said. “I felt it was important to provide more support for individuals and families struggling with homelessness and food insecurity. I’m continually grateful for all of the support that Philadelphia and the fans have given me not just around All-Star but all my years in the league. I will continue to help in any way I can.”Joel Embiid – per 76ers PR
The donation will go to Philadelphia homeless shelters, including Project HOME, Sunday Breakfast Mission, and Youth Service INC. per a 76ers press release. This will provide this organizations with the ability to:
- 15,000 meals for homeless and underserved individuals
- 4,000 essential clothing items donated to homeless teens and adults
- Care and treatment of 1,000 homeless individuals receiving COVID-19 vaccines
- Support for 30+ formerly homeless families – including education, health care, and employment services
- Funding for a six-week summer camp for 50+ homeless and at-risk youth
- Shelter and essential needs for over 300 teens facing homelessness or home insecurity
Joel continues to impress both on and off the court. His generosity and love for the city should not go unnoticed.